This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT on a house with a Regulated Tenant

ALFRED

Postby ALFRED » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:29 am

My mother has died leaving me her house.I was born in the house 65years ago, and have always lived in this house with my parents. For the last 23years with my wife and family, all in this single dwelling with separate facilities.
The probate value of the house, as a vacant possession, has been set at £350,000.
I have never had a rent book, but have paid my way and invested heavily in double glazing, a new roof, and a conservatory. I believe I have a secure tenancy, and the house should be valued as being occupied.
Would it be possible to make a successful appeal to the Tax Man for a lower valuation?
Many thanks in anticipation
Regards ALFRED

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:14 am

Given the length of occupancy and since it precedes the 1988 Act you may well be right, but I think that you need to talk to a lawyer about this one to determine exactly what your rights would have been - the question is whether your mother could have successfully given you notice to quit just before her death.

ALFRED

Postby ALFRED » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:35 am

25 July : ALFRED
Thank you Simon, I will take up your suggestion to confirm my tenancy status.
I was married and my wife came into the house in 1981, my sons were born in 1981 and 1983. My parents lived on the ground floor and my family lived above, both self contained flats, but with a common front door enterance.
I understand that, if at any time, my parents could have evicted me, I would not have had a secure regulated tenancy.
Should my mother have left the house to another person, I would now stand to be evicted.
Thanks again
Regards ALFRED

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”