This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

gift of joint tenancy / IHT/CGT implications

davedee

Postby davedee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:07 am

In August 1998 my father bought a house for £99,000 and made me (his daughter) a joint tenant, simply to make the procedure on purchase and his death easier. I have never lived in the house and have a PPR nearby. The house is now worth £200,00. Am I liable to CGT on the gain should he die, as well as the estate being liable to IHT?

maths

Postby maths » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:15 am

Basically you each own 50% of the house.

On his death you will inherit his 50% by way of survivorship not under his will.At that time no cgt will be payable by either of you.

Should you subsequently sell the house then in principle you will be liable to cgt.

If his total estate is below £275,000 then no iht will be payable on death.

In hindsight it might have been better for your father to have owned all the house leaving it to you in his will. You would then inherit at its mkt value at his eath and could have sold soon after basically cgt free; hindsight is of course a wonderful thing!!

davedee

Postby davedee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:42 am

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Is the CGT that I would be liable to based on the purchase price in 1998 or the valuation for the estate. Thanks again.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”