This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Raising State Pension to current level and Tax Residency

NoTaxPlease

Postby NoTaxPlease » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:13 am

Having been resident overseas (non-resident in the UK and not ordinarily resident for tax purposes) my State Pension has been frozen. Two questions:
1. Is is necessary for me to become tax resident and ordinarily resident in the UK for my State Pension to be increased to the current level?
2. If yes, how long would I need to remain tax resident and ordinarily resident for my State Pension to be frozen at the new increased level after I again live abroad non-resident and not ordinarily resident for tax purposes?

NoTaxPlease

ss002d6252

Postby ss002d6252 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:53 am

You need to be ordinarily resident in the UK to get to your pension increase. As soon as you are AND you inform the Pension Service, you will get your payments brought up to the relevant % of the current rate.

Once you have it uprated and in payment, you can then notify them and your pension should be frozen at the rate currently in payment.

Of course, PS/HMRC rely on you telling them that you are abroad, and I know from experience (ex-pension service pension forecast advisor) that a lot of people never bothered.

Of course,there are a lot of people who have the misconception that as soon as you step foot in the UK, your records are updated and that leads to a lot of records being wrong.

NoTaxPlease

Postby NoTaxPlease » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:32 pm

ss002d6252

Many thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea what evidence the British authorities would need in order to raise the State Pension if, for example, I became tax resident in France which is a country where annual indexing of the pension occurs for UK nationals residing there?

NoTaxPlease

ss002d6252

Postby ss002d6252 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:36 am

AFAIK they only need an address listed in that country that have provided as your main residence. I worked on UK State Pensions only, but have never heard of anyone having to provide anything other than an address.

As you are over SPA, the best people to double check with are International Pension Payments,Block B, Tyneview Park, Newcastle, NE98 1BA. Tel:+44 191 218 7777.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”