This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI contributions on pension contributions

levers

Postby levers » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:14 am

Hello. My wife and I both work for different employers. Both our employers offer a group personal pension plan in which the company pays a contribution and we can also choose to pay extra contributions, which we both do. Both schemes are not contracted out of serps.

On my payslip, my NI contributions are calculated on my entire gross salary whereas on my wifeÂ’s payslip, her NI contributions are calculated on her salary minus her personal pension contributions.

My understanding was that pension contributions are not deductible for NI purposes, so does that mean my wifeÂ’s employer is not doing the calculation correctly, or are there other factors regarding the pension contributions which affect whether you pay NI on them or not?

Thanks
Andy

Aldur

Postby Aldur » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:03 am

Your wife's calculation is incorrect.

However you would both probably be better off if you did a 'salary sacrifice' and the employer paid all the pension contribution. This saves both of you National Insurance.

I've never been able to fathom out why more companies don't offer the facility. Perhaps they like paying NI or something.

NeilW

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”