This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NIC and qualifying year

dickyred

Postby dickyred » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:55 am

As a director of a company started in August 05 I want to minimise tax/NIC, and I am following the advice of this forum (pay PAYE/NIC at £4850 and top up with dividends) but, as I was drawing unemployment benefit for the period April to August and presumably my 'stamp' was credited during this time, how does this affect the earnings required to achieve a qualifying year for NIC purposes? Does it even matter?

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:48 am

If you claimed benefits between April and August and are paying more than £82 per week from August to next April then that should constitute a full years NIC qualification.

It will count as a qualifying year for state pension purposes and keep your entitlement 'alive' for future benefits claims if necessary.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

dickyred

Postby dickyred » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:08 am

Thanks Dean

Can I pay myself £400 a month from August to February (£2,800) then top up my pay in March (£2,000)to fully use my allowance without paying NIC (directors' annual NIC rule)

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:12 am

Not really. If you became a director during the year then the earnings period is pro-rated. In addition, your unemployment benefit is taxable so you will have to bear those figures in mind when paying yourself. You should have been issued with a P45 from the benefits agency which will be used when processing your company payroll.

Dean Shepherd
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

dickyred

Postby dickyred » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:43 pm

The company was dormant for a few years until August 05, when trading began. I have been a director throughout the tax year. Does this make a difference to the pro-rated earnings period?

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:25 am

Possibly, but then that may have affected your original entitlement to benefits if you are now saying you were actually working for the entire year.

Also, as your benefits are taxable you do not really want to exceed your personal allowance combined with your salary.

Dean Shepherd
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”