This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on inventory/stock

mknight
VAT on inventory/stock

Postby mknight » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:32 am

I'm about to purchase the inventory/stock of a business before taking it over under a new entity. I have a feeling the seller (ltd co) will wind up and though I have a proforma invoice, what's the best way to ensure that I receive a VAT invoice? Checking the HMRC site, I see the seller has 30 days to issue this to a VAT-registered business (my registration is pending).

Generix

Re: VAT on inventory/stock

Postby Generix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:43 am

I'm about to purchase the inventory/stock of a business before taking it over under a new entity. I have a feeling the seller (ltd co) will wind up and though I have a proforma invoice, what's the best way to ensure that I receive a VAT invoice? Checking the HMRC site, I see the seller has 30 days to issue this to a VAT-registered business (my registration is pending).
Ask them to provide you with a VAT invoice? They shouldn't have a problem doing that.

Also have you checked to ensure this doesn't fall to be a transfer of a going concern (although doesn't sound like one to me - pays to be sure though).
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

mknight

Postby mknight » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am

I was worried they might have a problem, but have now received an invoice -- just from the company I expected.

Thanks for the tip on TOGC, I'm looking into this as a result. Out of interest, what point makes you think TOGC rules don't apply?

Generix

Postby Generix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 am

I was worried they might have a problem, but have now received an invoice -- just from the company I expected.

Thanks for the tip on TOGC, I'm looking into this as a result. Out of interest, what point makes you think TOGC rules don't apply?
As the subject line suggests its a pure stock/inventory purchase, rather than a transfer of a business (goodwill, staff, premises, assets) - although not all required you would normally expect to see at least goodwill as part of a TOGC. Have a read up on it and if you have any q's please repost and I'll be happy to help.
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

mknight

Postby mknight » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm

thanks again

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”