This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax problems

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby jusjules » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:53 am

My father (Enlish)was living in Ireland for 30 years and had a small buisness. He was audited for unpaid vat the investigator took a personal dislike to my father (for being english)and vindictivly expanded his investigation, he would not accept any settlement and even went behind a tax amnesty and came up with a ludicrous amount that he said my father owed. unfourtunatley my father had a lousy accountant who had been giving him bad advise for many years, they are now in their seventies, this investigation went on for 10 years! it had already cost them a fourtune in legal fees and now it looked like they (the tax man)where going to take everything so my parents left and went abroad.They just felt like they did'nt have any alternative they din'nt feel that they were getting a fair audit and that their life's saving were going to be taken away from them and they would be left destitute. these are hard working people who have been made criminals because of one man. is there anything they can do and what are the ramifications of their flight can they ever return to Ireland ( they have family there)they feel very bitter about what the tax system did to them and worry all the time about what will happen to them.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Postby Instinctive » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:39 am

There is always a complaints procedure to follow in all cases.

You would normally start with the head of the department and follow through to the adjudicator and finally through to your MP.


Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”