This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Recording Capital Losses - Jointly.

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:25 am

Happy New Year.

Appreciate guidance;

Like many I made Capital Losses (Shares - about 30K) during dot.com period.

(1) I understand I must register these losses with IR and have SA108 for YE 5 April 04, when should I submit these?

(2) Foolishly, I purchased Shares in my name rather than joint names, can I show them as ‘jointly’ owned; I live in a partnership – not married.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thank you,

Graham

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:33 am

Yes, you must clain all CGT losses in self-assessment tax return form. The tax return for year ended 5.4.2004 should be filed on or before 31 January 2005.

Your losses are yours alone and you cannot pretend otherwise. Having said this, I do not really see why you want to declare these as joint losses?

RP

RP

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:27 am

Thanks RP,

We have joint BTL gains.

Graham

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 am

RP,

I forgot to mention share purchase costs came from joint bank account, we are self employed and income is jointly earned.

Graham

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:46 am

I do not think buying the shares from income earned jointly and held in a joint account makes any difference.

Whether the shares were bought jointly or by yoursekf is a question of fact. Sorry I cannot give any positive news.

RP

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”