This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dual Resident helpsheet

dedalus
Dual Resident helpsheet

Postby dedalus » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I have a query regarding the dual residency form helpsheet 302.

I would like to know if staying in a property soley owned by the spouse is classed as owning a property in the uk for the purposes of question 2a on page nine of the form: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs302.pdf
Should the answer be yes or no?

Many thanks

Peter D

Re: Dual Resident helpsheet

Postby Peter D » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

No you do not own the property or have any liability on it's disposal nor can you claim PRR exemption. Regards Peter

maths

Postby maths » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 pm

You should answer "yes" to 2(a).

If you are living with your wife, albeit in a property she owns, the property constitutes a permanent home on your part; it is not necessary to so qualify that you should own the property.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Question 2a Does not ask you if you own a property, it asked if you has a permanent home, I should have checked your understanding of the question. Maths is perfectly right, the answer is Yes. Regards Peter

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Peter and Maths many thanks for yuor reply.

Since I have a home in both countries I then have to quote the tie breaker rule no 2 of the Italy / UK tax treaty. This relates to personal and economic ties. I have most of my assets in Italy and I would like to state this but I do not want to disclose to hmrc extacly how much money I have at least not until they ask explicitly. Do I have to divulge each of my assets in the helpsheet 302 or are generic statements ok along the lines of: "I have lived and worked all my life in Italy and have a pension paid by my ex italian employer there and my financial savings are all in Italy bla bla".

many thanks

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

Peter and Maths many thanks for yuor reply.

Since I have a home in both countries I then have to quote the tie breaker rule no 2 of the Italy / UK tax treaty. This relates to personal and economic ties. I have most of my assets in Italy and I would like to state this but I do not want to disclose to hmrc extacly how much money I have at least not until they ask explicitly. Do I have to divulge each of my assets in the helpsheet 302 or are generic statements ok along the lines of: "I have lived and worked all my life in Italy and have a pension paid by my ex italian employer there and my financial savings are all in Italy bla bla".

many thanks
I need to add that I have paidn tax on said foreign assets abroad already more than the uk rate so again do I need to specify what assets I have abroad even tough i am claiming foreign tax residency under the relevant DA?

maths

Postby maths » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

No need to identify specific assets; generic statements are acceptable at this stage.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:11 pm

No need to identify specific assets; generic statements are acceptable at this stage.

maths,

just to clarify, my question also relates to the foreign pages.
Do I need to state foreign income on the foreign pages or can I leave these blank?

Taxes already paid abroad and I have a certificate from the foreign authority stating this.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Bits keep coming out.

Are you :

1. an Italian national.

2. are you a British citizen.

3. are you married to a British national with whom you live full-time here in the UK.

To even begin to resolve dual residency it is necessary for you to resident in the UK under UK law and[/i} resident in Italy under Italian law.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 pm

1: yes

2: no

3: married to a dual national british italian we have lived together in uk for more than 183 days. Before hand we both lived in italy.

I am resident in both countries, I have a certificate from the italian authorities stating that I am resident there for tax purposes but i also qualify for british residency due to the number of days spent here. Assets are in italy except for a house my wife owns here.

I just wanted to know if at this stage i need to provide hmrc with the numbers even tough i intend to submit helpsheet 302 with my SA.

Return to “Income Tax”