This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

share dividends

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:34 am

I would appreciate guidance;

Should I add share dividends to my CGT calculations?

Thank you.

Graham

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:58 am

Definitely not.

Dividends are income, in the same way as one receives interest from deposits in the bank and building societies.

Dividends are treated as top slice of your income.

Dividends are taxed at source and there is no further liability if all taxable income is within the basic rate band. However, to the extent any dividends enter into higher rate band, these are taxed at 32.5% less the credit for 10% tax deducted at source.

Ramnik
ramnikrp@hotmail.com

Huw Williams

Postby Huw Williams » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:51 am

The other answer is "definitely yes".

Ramnik is right to say that you should declare the receipt as income.

But if you are talking about scrip dividends, you also acquired extra shares and you should keep a note of the capital cost which you will need for the calcualtion when you sell the shares.

The cost of the extra shares is the dividend income (ie the value of the shares received instead of cash).

Huw Williams
Nottingham

0115 914 6846

enquiries@huwwilliams.co.uk

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”