This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign gift

riccardob
Foreign gift

Postby riccardob » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi,

I am being donated some cash by a relative in a foreign country and I want to keep it there in a bank account.

At the moment I pay tax on a payee basis for my job. Am I right in assuming that the tax due (in addition to my salary tax) will be on the interest accrued in the bank account where my cash gift is.

a) Do I need to write to hmrc telling them about this gift?
b) Or do I just submit a tax return for the year 2011 2012 indicating the new foreign income?

Also will HMRC request proof of gift.

Thanks

mullet

Re: Foreign gift

Postby mullet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:34 pm

At the moment I pay tax on a payee basis for my job. Am I right in assuming that the tax due (in addition to my salary tax) will be on the interest accrued in the bank account where my cash gift is.
Yes.
a) Do I need to write to hmrc telling them about this gift?
No.
b) Or do I just submit a tax return for the year 2011 2012 indicating the new foreign income?
Yes.
Also will HMRC request proof of gift.
This is remotely possible, so retain any paperwork etc. And have the money transferred to you via the banking system so that there is a trail, rather than by carrier-bags full of cash ... :?

Return to “Income Tax”