This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

BTL re-mortgage loan/savings calculation for IR..

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:19 am

I would appreciate your kind guidance..

I am in the process of buying a property (to BTL) off-plan with completion expected 2006,

I made the first ‘stage-payment’ of 10% on exchange and need to make a second 10% ‘stage-payment’ this June.

I have other BTLÂ’s and have re-mortgaged one to make the stage payments. I am aware of IR rules regarding assigning interest cost to new property, not property re-mortgaged.

As I am self-employed my income is erratic, I thought it prudent to re-mortgage now and deposit funds for second stage-payment in savings account until needed in June. For IR, my accounts (with audit trail) will be calculated as follows for the period; start of loan until June):

Thus; re-mortgage loan interest (7%) charged for period, minus interest received from money invested (Net 4.28) for same period.

Thank you

Graham

Huw Williams

Postby Huw Williams » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:44 am

I am not sure what the question is.

As the money was borrowed to acquire the property, I do not think there is a problem with claiming relief for the interest cost in your rental accounts.

The deposit interest does not feature in your rental accounts - it will go on the savings and investment income page of the return.

Or is there some other issue you are not sure about?

Huw Williams
Nottingham

0115 914 6846

enquiries@huwwilliams.co.uk

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks Huw.. my concern is that I for a period of about six months I have the benefit of money that I cannot invest in BTL property, I am claiming the cost of this interest (in this case 7%)and to offset this outgoing have put this money into a savings account giving Net 4.28% interest.

On next years tax return I plan to claim the 7% and show the Net interest as income from savings - in an effort to keep IR happy?

Appreciate your further comments.

Thank you.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Graham, I think you want to claim the interest charge until June 2005 in your self-employment accounts as an expense. This is definitely not allowable as the money has not been used for your business.

I have not researched whether this interest is allowable expense of your lettings business. Wowever, I have a recollection that you are allowed to claim the loan interest in your 'overall rental business' provided that the money is used for the intended purpose within a certain period, I believe a year.

Ramnik
ramnikrp@hotmail.com

Huw Williams

Postby Huw Williams » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:15 am

Aa Ramnik says, you do not have to use the money borrowed immediately.

What is important is that you do use the money as intended.

By all means put a note on the tax return to explain the unusually high interest income, so that the Revenue cannot come back in 6 years time and reopen the issue.

Huw Williams
Nottingham

Return to “Property Taxation”