This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividend timing - o/d DCA

Alcosaint
Dividend timing - o/d DCA

Postby Alcosaint » Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Good day..

Possibly being too cautious, but here's the scenario: Client was an employee of 2 different companies in 11/12. Pay from Company A meant client was subject to HRT (40%), until leaving that employment late in 11/12 - no new employment has been found or is being sought, except as below.

Company B, unlike Company A, is controlled by my client. During 11/12 my client withdrew funds from Company B, to the extent that client had an overdrawn loan account at 5/4/12 - c£20k due to 1 large withdrawal. Having drafted Company B's 11/12 accounts it is clear that a dividend could now be declared to reverse the o/d loan account balance.

From an Income tax angle it clearly suits to declare the Company B dividend in 12/13 (treating the £20k as a loan until cleared by dividend) - PA and basic rate band already fully utilised in 11/12 through pay from Company A.

My question is this - does HMRC have any powers allowing it to treat the 11/12 withdrawal as anything other than a loan? And has anyone had experience of this actually happening?

section 44

Re: Dividend timing - o/d DCA

Postby section 44 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't see how HMRC could deem a dividend to have been declared.

Return to “Income Tax”