This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A problem

laptopsurfer

Postby laptopsurfer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:29 am

I am sure other people like me have got themselves into a position where things get messy. I want to make it clear that anything I might have done was because I was stupid and sticking head in sand rather than anything else and at the end of it I have no come out of it very well.

I came off PAYE in start of 2001, and left to work in France. I got paid very well and came back end of end of Dec 2001 and with some savings tried to setup a company. I did not pay myself anything, although very hard to proving that. Due to a very bad credit rating I was unable to get a bank account and so had a joint / shared account with my g/f at the time. I am no longer with my g/f. During the next year I earned about 60k but most of that was going to part fund the company, which never really got of the ground. Personal money and company money all got mixed up. The company was closed down (never filled any accounts) and I was unemployed for around 5 months - I never signed on, and have never signed on. During this time I have never heard from the IR. I then started to work in my own time on a project (software) and after a long time managed to sell some of it as one off deals. At the start of 2004 I went to the Canada to work on a new project, before I left I packed up my house but the removal people stupidly lost a box - the one with ALL my personal documents! Everything including my birth certificate. I have just returned to the UK 2005 and taken a job the first time in years and today just filled in a P46. To complicate matters more I am about to be trasfered to an Asia office. not sure where. I am about £40k in debt and deciding if I should go bankrupt. As of today, I don’t have any assets, crashing at a friends house. I have no bank account and or credit cards. I have no car, nothing. I have a suitcase with some clothes and no documents from any of the work, money etc of the last 4 years. I have just touched on the basics, but can I assume in the next few days once the IR have my P46 that all hell is about to break lose ? As I said above - I have been stupid, and it’s like the unknown means it easier to stick head in sand than deal with it.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”