This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employment misunderstanding

sjr777
Self employment misunderstanding

Postby sjr777 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Guys

Hope you are all well. I have a dilema.. I have just received a letter from HM Rev self assessment statement stating that I owe £3399.77. I have never been self employed. I started a role in a marketing company afew years ago and registered as self employed as I was all keen etc, but i was only there afew weeks as i was making no money. Unfortunately I never de-registered as i totally forgot.

I had a letter about a year or so ago maybe 2 years ago stating i owed money so I rang and stated I've never been self employed. The advisor on the other end said to put it in writing so I did, and heard nothing since now.

I havent been working for a long period of time, and also signed on to job seekers at one stage so why they haven't seen that, i don't know.

Please help, I need this to end and i certainly dont have £3+grand floating around.

Any response would be greatly appriciated.

Many thanks

Pards

Re: Self employment misunderstanding

Postby Pards » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:58 am

It is possible the amount HMRC are claiming that you owe is relating the the late filing penalties for not submitting your self assessment.
Technically, the year you registered, you should have file a self assessment for that particular year, whether you received any income or not.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”