This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC compliance visit for Limited Company

RSL
HMRC compliance visit for Limited Company

Postby RSL » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi
I had a call from the revenue the other day saying 2 of their officers were going to pop round for a chat about compliance in Feb. Anyone have a list of questions they may ask? They say the visit would be 3 hours and then it maybe followed up. I've got nothing to hide but I've got no idea what sort of things they ask or how much documentation they will be wanting to see in this initial visit.
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

section 44

Re: HMRC compliance visit for Limited Company

Postby section 44 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Do you mean "may" as in question that they are allowed to ask or question that they might ask? If the latter then it seems a pretty broad question

RSL

Postby RSL » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

Hi, yes sorry it is a broad question, reflects my lack of knowledge about what the process is. Maybe better if anyone can advise whether I need to get anything ready for the visit as a lot of our stuff is archived.
Thanks

Generix

Postby Generix » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi, yes sorry it is a broad question, reflects my lack of knowledge about what the process is. Maybe better if anyone can advise whether I need to get anything ready for the visit as a lot of our stuff is archived.
Thanks
Prior to any visit they should give you a call and send you some sort of letter/(possibly email these days) stating what types of records over what period they would like to see.

If you have the officers number, give him a shout explain that a lot of your stuff is in archive and if they want any records for a particular period at the time of their visit then they will need to give you a heads up (and preferably a list of what they would like!)
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

uktaxadvisors.com

Postby uktaxadvisors.com » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:20 am

ACA & IFA & Tax Professional with 15 years exprience in finance & tax areas
Contact: [color=#FF0000][u]info@uktaxadvisors.com[/u][/color]
[url]http://www.uktaxadvisors.com/[/url]

RSL

Postby RSL » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 am

brilliant, many thanks for your help :D

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Ask the HMRC officers for an agenda of the subjects that they intend to discuss and the records they would wish to examine. If you have a tax adviser/accountant, have you told them that HMRC have advised you that they are going to pop round for a chat.

Personally I wouldn't let them through the door without knowing "EXACTLY" what they intend to discuss etc etc
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

RSL

Postby RSL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:03 pm

thanks, now had a letter so got a bit of a better idea. I'm sure it will be fun.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 pm

especially if you like the thumb screws LoL
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

RSL

Postby RSL » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 am

Umm, I've been through all our records. I'm happy we've dealt with all our employees as we should have done. The problem is that of the 30 starters/leavers in the 2011/2012 year there were about 5 employees whose records somehow were not registered on the HMRC website (i.e. no P45/P46 details logged on there). All these people went on our internal payroll systems and they were dealt with correctly as far as PAYE/NI deductions etc and P45's were issued when they left, it's just that we overlooked putting the details on the HMRC system.
Anyone know if we get fines for this?
Thanks for advice (or maybe not if it's bad news!)

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”