This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Till report reading and undeclared income

Till report reading and undeclared income

Postby 170872 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:23 am

I have a client - HMRC came for a VAT .

They then came again another day with an expert and ran a till report going back few years and took it with them. Now they have analysied them and saying that my client has not declared all income for VAT and that the readings are higher than reported. Also there is some negative figures keyed in and this should also be sales. They now raised an assessment of £15K.

During investigation my client has already provided them with cash sheet on daily takings and have provided them with all the records they wanted. They were happy then.

Can HMRC VAT people allowed to turn up agains with an expert and punch few buttons on the till register and took the back dated till report? Will this report reading be accurate? as per what they are saying?

Has anybody have gone through this type of sceneraio? Need advice how to defend my client now.

Thanks

wamstax

Re: Till report reading and undeclared income

Postby wamstax » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 am

Yes have had this happen to clients of a client. A lot will depend on how truthful your client is with you and whether you for example have the till Z readings for part of the period.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

wamstax

Re: Till report reading and undeclared income

Postby wamstax » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:39 am

You should also get your client to run off a till total report and compare it with the report taken by HMRC and the subsequent Z readings and clients records
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”