This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT for Non Residents

khalid
CGT for Non Residents

Postby khalid » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:41 am

My son is a USA & UK national. Resident in USA for more than 10 years. He will become resident in UK from 2015-16 onwards. If he transfers his UK property to a Limited Company before 5th April 2015, will CGT be avoided ?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: CGT for Non Residents

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:26 pm

That should be fine avoiding CGT but there could be stamp duty, legal and mortgage fees to contend with and maybe even higher interest rates

While transferring a property to a limited company as its advantages, there are also many disadvantages to consider and would take advice before transferring a property to a limited company

khalid

Postby khalid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you for your advice. I want to be sure that the current price will become the base price for future sale i.e. the Limited Company will pay CGT on the future gains only.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Will he be residing in the UK property when he becomes UK resident?
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

khalid

Postby khalid » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:02 am

I want to be sure of all possibilities:
1. It is investment property for letting. He is not likely to reside in this flat.
2. He may or may not stay in UK permanently.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:06 pm

What is the value of the property?

Are there any borrowings secured agains it?

Is he domiciled in the UK or not?

khalid

Postby khalid » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:06 am

Property value is £230,000-
There are no borrowings.
He is domiciled in UK

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 am

So currently your son is US resident and a US citizen. He reports the rental income and expenses on his annual US return and if there are losses he is potentially setting these against his other income (subject to passive activity loss limitation rules).

You are thinking that he should create a Controlled Foreign Company; and potentially find himself within Subpart F on the income in future. This will not avoid US income tax on the growth in value when the property is sold, so I am not sure that I understand the advantage for your son. I can see a potential advantage for his accountants, because the new company will have annual UK and US accounting fees to be paid; so the accountants will win here; but this seems poor tax planning as it would save no tax at all unless UK tax rates on the eventual gain were to be significantly greater than US rates.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”