This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT return and import VAT.

Vat Info
VAT return and import VAT.

Postby Vat Info » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi

Question about VAT return and import VAT.

I have imported some goods to the UK and this has arrived, and duty and VAT have been paid.

As the goods were in transit for a while, I was hoping that they would arrive before the end of the 1st quarter VAT period, 31/3/15.

They did not, arrived just inside the 2nd VAT quarter 6/4/15. (freight forwarder invoice date for the duty and VAT)

Question is, can I claim the VAT back in the 1st quarter return (as the goods were in -transit), or do I have to wait 4 months to claim the VAT
back on the 2nd quarter return (31/7/15)?

The reason I ask is because it's a few grand and could do with this now for my business.

Thanks

les35

Re: VAT return and import VAT.

Postby les35 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:06 am

No, the key document is the C79 form, which shows the VAT in import. Unless that is dated on or before 31 March 2015, you cannot claim it on the P03/15 Return. But presumably your next quarter is to 30 June 2015?

Vat Info

Re: VAT return and import VAT.

Postby Vat Info » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 pm

...I thought as much, thanks

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”