This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Career advice for ex HMRC employee

Saphire23

Career advice for ex HMRC employee

Postby Saphire23 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:04 pm

I am an ex HMRC Inspector and Compliance Manager of 15 yrs experience. I was thinking of doing the AAT, but have been advised against by an accountant professional as presenting no additional value. I am now confused as a Tax Manager job required some kind of accounting qualification. The Inspector training is not externally recognised. I have a 2:1 degree and 2 post graduate qualifications as well but not in accounting.. I thought at least the AAT would allow me to set my own practice if I cannot find a job.

Lambs

Re: Career advice for ex HMRC employee

Postby Lambs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:05 pm

S, those In the profession may well ascribe value to your qualifications and experience in the Revenue. I have known and worked with some very competent ex-revenue practitioners. And some not so good. But that would also be true of people who'd never been near the Revenue as well. I should've hoped Inspector grade would've taken you beyond ATT level - ex-Inspectors I know have proven themselves at CTA. Which is not to say I don't rate ATT. I do.

Just don't set yourself up to do just tax returns because people keep telling me they're being abolished!!

Regards,

Lambs

section 44

Postby section 44 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:03 am

I was thinking of doing the AAT
beyond ATT level
Clearly AAT and ATT are two different qualifications.

CGA

Postby CGA » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:09 pm

AAT would give a sound grounding in accountancy and bookkeeping and depending on exemptions and your own study pace it could be completed in 12-18 months. However with your experience you may be able to find tax manager's jobs that do not require extra qualifications. If you wish to set up your accountancy/tax practice their MIP scheme is very good.
Research possible job offers and see whether AAT would really make a difference to your prospects.
Good luck!

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad: I am doing this on a screen the size of a postage stamp.

Saphire23

Postby Saphire23 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Thank you CGA and Lamb for your responses and advice. I have some exemptions so it should take me under a year. I looked at tax manager jobs and so far the jobs have asked for a minimum of AAT. I have not had any responses to the jobs I have applied for so far. I think I have been going the wrong way about looking for a job. I was also looking into AAT as it would allow me to set up my own practice. I was thinking of setting up my own tax investigation consultancy as I have managed cross tax teams and know what HMRC looks for. HMRC is suppose to be working in an open collaborative manner unfortunately it takes a long time to implement the cultural change. I implemented the HMRC dispute resolution service and guidance so I know being on the other side now the weak points of HMRC in that a lot of caseworkers are not working the way they should be. It was really frustrating for me on the inside on how hard it was to shift the attitude of hard nosed caseworkers.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Contact the companies which offer fee protection or tax enquiry insurance. I think a lot of them use a good proportion of ex-Revenue investigators. His cox and Abbey Tax spring to miNd. Unless s44 has any better ideas, of course...

Lambs

Ban45

Postby Ban45 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi Saphire23,
could you please let me have your email address for me to contact you.

regards

Ban45

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:29 pm

B, this post is more than a year old. S, unless you know this person then I should treat with caution just to be on the safe side. Private messages will work without having to divulge an external email address.

Regards,

Lambs

Return to “Professionals in Practice & Industry”