This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reporting CGT on large grounds

flatree
Reporting CGT on large grounds

Postby flatree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 am

Hi,
I have sold my principal private residence and it fulfills all the PPR relief criteria except that it has grounds of 0.9 hectare. I want to argue that the extra land is consistent with the size and character of the house and if they don't accept this that the extra land is worth only £10K as agricultural land and the CGT is within my annual allowance.

I do not know the best way to report this on my SA return. Do I:

(1) complete the CGT pages and enter the details into the Computation Working Sheet and calculate that my net gain is zero, transfer this amount to the CGT summary page and give a full explanation in box 37?

or (2) not complete the GCT pages at all (since I claim I do not owe CGT) but provide the full explanation in the "white space" box of the SA return?

Many thanks

Peter D

Re: Reporting CGT on large grounds

Postby Peter D » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:14 pm

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:47 pm

In these circumstances, I always recommend obtaining a Professional Valuation - preferably from someone who is prepared to defend your case before HMRC.

flatree

Postby flatree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 am

King_maker do you think a valuation is necessary just for the extra piece land? The property is in a rural conservation area and the land would have to be worth £35K or more per acre before it impacts on my annual exempt amount. What kind of case do you think I might have to defend that would require a professional valuer? Could I not do this as a non-professional or is there something I am missing here? What is a worse-case scenario?
Thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 pm

It depends how confident you are in your estimate of £10,000 for the excess land.

You will need to do an estimate of its value on acquisition also.

It will be necessary to notify HMRC that estimates are being used - this is likely to mean HMRC will want more details.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”