This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring a house?

Sueconjoice
Transferring a house?

Postby Sueconjoice » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Can anyone tell me simply the advantages and disadvantages of transferring a house to my wife. We bought the house in 1982, lived in it till 2001, then my son lived in it till recently. We plan to rent it out. How will transferring it affect capital gains tax.

How does one transfer a house?

Peter D

Re: Transferring a house?

Postby Peter D » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:33 pm

As you ( sole owner ) lived in the property then you will be entitled to PPR and Letting relief of up to £40,000. If you transfer the house that will be lost as your wife has not lived there as an owner. Read HS283 on the HMRC web site.

I assume you are looking at transferring the house so the rental income is hers. Tell us more. Regards Peter

King_Maker

Re: Transferring a house?

Postby King_Maker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Are you joint owners, as you used the phrase "we bought the house....."?

If you are transferring the whole of your share in the house, it can be done by amending the Land Registry entry or by making a Declaration of Trust.

SDLT could apply if the property is mortgaged.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”