This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Assured Tenancy

marandind
Assured Tenancy

Postby marandind » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 am

We live in a house on an assured tenancy, and have done for about 20 years.

The landlords have decided that they would like to redevelop the site, and obviously our position is something of a complication. They have offered us an ex gratia payment to vacate the property which is quite generous, but it obviously replies on the tax position to some degree.

Is a payment of this sort liable for income tax, or is it viewed in a different way?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

King_Maker

Re: Assured Tenancy

Postby King_Maker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:50 am

This has come up before recently.

My view - not universally accepted - is that is payment for your surrendering your tenancy. I don't believe it could be categorised as "ex-gratia".

I think it is a capital rather than income receipt, and therefore subject to CGT.

However, I consider PPR exemption should apply - assuming it's always been your main/only residence.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:19 pm

I think it is a capital rather than income receipt, and therefore subject to CGT.
even though it's a short lease?

marandind

Postby marandind » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi,

Just to clarify this isnt an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, but an Assured Tenancy.

Thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:53 pm

even though it's a short lease?
Yes - IMHO.

AFAIK, this is also HMRC's view - which is unlikely to evoke any disagreement from a tenant receiving such a tax free payment. :)

I think it would apply to a mere Licence also - but the owner/landlord would usually need to be very impatient to make such a payment.

Return to “Property Taxation”