This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT or CGT due on inherited property sale?

Adrien
IHT or CGT due on inherited property sale?

Postby Adrien » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 pm

In February 2014 my father died leaving me (his son) and my sisters his house. At the date of his death the property was valued at £1.2m by a surveyor.

As his estate was valued at greater than £325k, IHT was paid at the time. We are now (a year and a half after his death) looking to sell the house. Estate Agents have valued the property at £1.5m.

My question is: if we sell the house for £1.5m then will we just need to pay CGT on the £300k capital gain... or will HMRC require that IHT is re-calculated and the actual value of the house (£1.5m) be used for the calculation rather than the estimated value (£1.2m)?

section 44

Re: IHT or CGT due on inherited property sale?

Postby section 44 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:26 pm

if we sell the house for £1.5m then will we just need to pay CGT on the £300k capital gain
yes

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Is there a good reason to support the £300,000 increase in 18 months? It may be that your Valuer (RICS, hopefully) will be able to assist here?

If not, HMRC will be wanting 40% IHT on the extra £300,000 not 28% CGT. Interest and Penalties could be payable on top.

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Thank you for your posts. In answer to your question: there's no good reason for the house now (apparently) being worth £300k more than when it was valued 1.5 years ago. I put the discrepency down to (a) some imporvement in the housing market and (b) the estate agent being more 'bullish' than the surveyor. Of course we may not achieve £1.5m - it is just the estate agent's recommended marketing price.

I guess I could rephrase my question slightly to make it more hyperthetical: when selling an inherited house, at what point does CGT become applicable rather than IHT? Taking my situation we could envisage two scenarios at opposite ends of the timeline spectrum:
Scenario 1: A few months after my father's death we sell the house for £300k more than the valuation used for probate. In this scenario I am failry certain HMRC would require us to re-calculate IHT based on the true/realised value of the house.
Scenario 2: We decide to live in the house rather than sell it. 20 years in the future we sell the house for £300k more than it's probate value. I am fairly certain HMRC would expect us to pay CGT on the £300k capital appreciation (or nothing if it is our primary residence). I assume they would not expect us to revisit the IHT calculation 20 years down the line.

So at what point do we switch from having an IHT obligation to a CGT obligation? Is it down to length of time between grant of probate and the sale of the house? If so is there a specified amount of time? Apologies if I'm missing the point here... I'm quite new to this!

Many thanks,

Adrien

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”