This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deemed periods of absence

wilf91
Deemed periods of absence

Postby wilf91 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Say I own two properties, A for fifteen years and B for five. I then sell B, and assume I am eligible to use a deemed period of absence of three years, which reduces the CGT liability, does the deemed period of three years reduce the PPR exemption for property A? i.e. A can then only have PPR exemption period of 12 years not 15. Thanks in advance

section 44

Re: Deemed periods of absence

Postby section 44 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 am

You own two properties.
assume I am eligible to use a deemed period of absence of three years
You need to expand on this. Either you have made some material, but perhaps not apparent, assumptions, or you don't understand this.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:14 am

When did you live in the properties. Regards Peter

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:01 am

Have you read HMRC's Help Sheet HS283 on the subject?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf

[For disposals after 5 April 2014, the exemption for the last 36months of ownership is reduced to 18 months.]

wilf91

Postby wilf91 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Apologies for the lack of details. Yes, I have read the HMRC help sheet. My question was whether a period of absence that becomes a deemed period of qualifying residence ." a. absences for whatever reason, totalling not more than 3 years in all" and the final 18 months of ownership affect the qualifying periods as a main residence of another property.

a) Property A bought in Jan 2000 and was my main residence until 2010 (10 years main residence Property A)
b) As well as using Property A, in 2010 I bought Property B for elderly father to live in. I moved in to be his carer and Property B was main residence for about a year. (1 year main residence Property B)
c) 2011 moved back to Property A as main residence as father able to manage by himself. (4 years main residence Property A)
d) 2015 am now using Property B again as main residence as father needs care at home. (1 year main residence Property B)
e) Say I sell Property B June 2016 as father will then be in residential care.

so is it possible that 14 years PPR relief will be given for Property A (10 +4)
or
Do the final 18 months of ownership of Property B and the qualifying 3 years reduce the 14 years PPR relief for Property A? A nomination was not made with regards to main residence so it will be determined on facts. I am assuming there is evidence to support this, and another 3 qualifying years of absence will be given for Property B.

Jan 2000-June 2016
Although the period is 16 1/2 years, and being eligible for 14 years PPR relief on Property A and 5 1/2 years (1+ 3+ final 18mths) relief on Property B (going to mid 2016) may seem unlikely but I do know there are anomalies in tax, and deemed periods can be grey areas, hence the question.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”