This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT sell or not to sell house

kanrent
CGT sell or not to sell house

Postby kanrent » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:19 am

Hi can anyone advise me
I an a non resident landlord (British citizen) i rented out my house which was my only home for the last 15 years after living in it for 17 years, i now have to pay CGT if i sell
I would still like to have a rental property in the uk, but havent a clue how CGT works
I was wondering if i should sell my existing property to reduce the CGT on that one and buy another buy to let later.
In short is there anything to be gained in selling the property i have now and buying another later or just keeping my existing property and continuing renting it out.
Thanks for any help

pawncob

Re: CGT sell or not to sell house

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 pm

The ratio of PPR to let period will change over time, to your disadvantage. You need to post accurate dates and figures if you want a reasoned response.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”