This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Limited compnay tax

Mo84
Limited compnay tax

Postby Mo84 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Please can somebody help me with some questions that i have about tax for limited companys. So the vat threshold is atound 80k once i exceed that how would it work in this situation. I buy a service from a small business for £100 and i resell this service for £110 my profit is of course £10 . The business i buy from is not vat registered, so when i pay my tax do i have to pay 20% of the income i.e the £110? Because that is more than my profit. Thank you in advance for your help. Any advice is welcome.

jpcentral

Re: Limited compnay tax

Postby jpcentral » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:18 pm

If you only charge £110, the net result will be a loss.

You pay VAT on your sale price and reclaim any VAT charged on your purchases. In the case you described, you would actually be paying £18.33 to HMRC so your loss would be around £8.33.

The principle is that you should charge £110 + VAT - or £132 and pay £22 to HMRC.

You might be better off on the Flat Rate Scheme where I think the rate is likely to be around 10.5% of the gross. In your example, £11.55 - still a loss but not as great.

I suggest you spend a little time and money and talk to a local accountant who can help by going through VAT in greater detail.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Company Taxation”