This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Marriage Allowance Transfer

njb55rtd
Marriage Allowance Transfer

Postby njb55rtd » Sat May 07, 2016 11:41 am

In respect of higher rate tax, for the 2015/16 tax year, people with the standard Personal Allowance started paying this rate on income over £42,385. (wording taken from HMRC web site).
Does this mean that, if you took the £1060 new surplus marriage allowance, it would extend this band to £43,445?
Nick

robbob

Re: Marriage Allowance Transfer

Postby robbob » Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Does this mean that, if you took the £1060 new surplus marriage allowance, it would extend this band to £43,445?
Interesting question in some respects

I guess this is the bit that specifically scuppers the relief.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... 11/enacted
(2)A tax reduction under this Chapter is given effect at Step 6 of the calculation in section 23
Basically it looks tax is calculated as normal including 40% as appropriate then relief is granted via a later step, as you have failed the test earlier in the calculation by being charged higher rate tax no relief is available, i have proof checked this with my software package and this removed the £212.00 tax relief as soon as the income exceeds 42385.

I would imagine this is presumably what you were expecting unfortunately.

Note you do have the option of paying into a pension or charity to get your income below the higher rate threshold - if you do self assessment and have not yet submitted it a gift aid donation could be made now and carried back to last year, may be handy if you are like £3 into higher rate and also good for the needy recipient - unless they only receive £3.20 :)

Return to “Income Tax”