This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax evasion by accountant

Marthacat
Tax evasion by accountant

Postby Marthacat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello,

Do Hmrc take tax evasion by accountants more seriously than maybe they would if it were a builder/painter etc ?

I ask as an accountant has set up a private limited company and is working as an accountant full time in a different business basically like he is employed by the accountants but invoicing them as he contracts himself as an employee of his plc of which he is the only director .

On companies house no accounts have been filed recently it says
''Accounts overdue
Next accounts made up to 31 July 2015
due by 30 April 2016

Last accounts made up to 31 July 2014''

and then

'Confirmation statement overdue

First statement date 17 July 2016
due by 31 July 2016

Annual return

Last annual return made up to 17 July 2015'

there was a compulsory strike off notice in July followed by a strike off action has been suspended notice in August .

I know that when he gets paid it goes straight into his personal account and business account is set up and that he isnt paying any tax or NI or declaring all his income to HMRC .

Ive been told he could possibly be breaking IR35 rules ? Ive looked them up but it all may well as be in double dutch to me , Im a Dr not an Accountant .

So I guess Im asking can someone explain to me in laymans terms is this tax evasion ? ( he has been working for this company for over 4 years and as yet paid nothing keeping all money earned for himself ) and if it is do HMRC frown more on accountants doing it as they should know better and are advising others on their tax affairs ?

Thanks in Advance

bd6759

Re: Tax evasion by accountant

Postby bd6759 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:23 pm

I suspect HMRCwould hold an accountant in private practice to a higher standard than the average punter.

If you wnt to report him: https://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregister ... r-business

LozaACCS

Re: Tax evasion by accountant

Postby LozaACCS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Whilst BD 6759 is correct in his comments, posts like this often appear on the forum, personally I think you should not involve us in what are invariably disputes between the parties, we could not possibly have a full understanding of the facts so a view expressed on the basis of your comments alone is likely to be of little value.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”