This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK company dvidends for non-resident individual

Jetsetter4805
UK company dvidends for non-resident individual

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 pm

I have been non-resident for several years and have recently started to operate through a UK limited co as my main client is UK based and I can easily file the relevant submissions (CT return, annual return etc.) myself online. I still submit UK individual tax returns and was wondering how the £7500 dividend limit would affect me as a non-resident. I realise that this would be taxable income in my country of residence but would there be scope for me to pay myself a higher dividend (than £7500) and not be subject to further UK income tax as a non-resident or would I be taxed in the same way as a UK tax resident?

Thanks in advance.

LozaACCS

Re: UK company dvidends for non-resident individual

Postby LozaACCS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Dividends are still disregarded income so yes providing you do not claim a personal allowance (assuming you are entitle to one), obviously you would need to consider the position in your country of residence.

maths

Postby maths » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:51 pm

The dividend allowance is £5,000 (effective 16/17).

However, if your only UK source income is dividends then your UK income tax liability as a non-resident is capped under the legislation which means that in effect no income tax arises on the dividends irrespective of the amount

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Unless you elect for a personal allowance

maths

Postby maths » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Why do you say this Loza?

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

I should have added "assuming you have UK non disregarded income" - S811 ITA 2007

Jetsetter4805

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm

The dividend allowance is £5,000 (effective 16/17).

However, if your only UK source income is dividends then your UK income tax liability as a non-resident is capped under the legislation which means that in effect no income tax arises on the dividends irrespective of the amount
Thank you for the response - much appreciated. I also receive a modest amount of UK bank interest but presume this doesn't affect the above.

In response to Lozza's remarks, I have never 'elected' to receive a personal allowance. This has always been automatically received/applied each time I have submitted a UK tax return as I usually receive a refund for any tax deducted at source on my UK bank interest.

Jetsetter4805

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

I'm still a bit confused about 'electing to have a personal allowance'. The PA is automatically applied to my tax calculation.

With this in mind, as a non-resident the income tax liability on £30k of UK source dividend income in 2016/17 will result in a NIL UK income tax liability? The only other UK source income is £2k of bank interest income.

Return to “Income Tax”