This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How long after registering for SA before I can submit my Tax Return?

ck_uk
How long after registering for SA before I can submit my Tax Return?

Postby ck_uk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:58 pm

I've just registered for self assessment for the first time, somewhat late but only just found out the deadline was Oct 5. My only option for submitting a tax return now seems to be online by end of Jan 2017. How long should I expect to wait before I receive my UTR, so that I can then fill out and submit my online Tax Return and pay any due tax?

pawncob

Re: How long after registering for SA before I can submit my Tax Return?

Postby pawncob » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:42 pm

normally 2-3 weeks.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

D&C

Re: How long after registering for SA before I can submit my Tax Return?

Postby D&C » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:07 pm

You do normally get 3 months to submit your return from the date HMRC send you it.

Any tax due still has to be paid by 31 January though irrespective of whether you have submitted the return.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”