This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Multiple dwelling relief for annex

nicebamboo
Multiple dwelling relief for annex

Postby nicebamboo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi, we bought a property 8 months ago and I have recently been contacted by two accountancy firms advising that I have paid too much SDLT. They suggest as we have a annex/summerhouse we are able to class this as a second dwelling, thereby allowing us to recalculate the SDLT based upon a much lower average of the two dwellings. I'm reluctant to use the accountancy firms as they will charge a fee, I'd prefer to submit a request for a refund to HMRC directly, however I'm looking for some confirmation that our annex can be classed as a second dwelling. It does have a bathroom and kitchen and therefore is "capable of being a second dwelling", but we currently do not have planning permission for this use. Any advise greatly welcomed!

section 44

Re: Multiple dwelling relief for annex

Postby section 44 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Could you ask for confirmation directly from HMRC?

BillyBob197

Postby BillyBob197 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Did you get this sorted nicebamboo?
We are in exactly the same position and, like you, i'm reluctant to use the no-win no-fee accountancy firms that have contacted us but am not sure how to go about getting the refund. Can you help?
Many thanks

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I'd be cautious, my understanding is that they excluded annexes from the additional 3% by effectively treating it as part of a single property.

But the danger is if you are effectively electing to treat them as two separate properties then potentially the extra 3% applies to the whole amount.

If they are willing to do it on no-win no-fee then it probably won't hurt, but I'd make sure you have an indemnity in place that says that if they end up costing you more in tax/penalties/interest then they will pay the extra. If they aren't willing to give you such an indemnity I wouldn't trust them.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes, you are right to be cautious, this is a complex area. There is more about it here:https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buyin ... ffect-you/.

The legislation works by treating some annexes / other self contained dwellings as "subsidiary"" to the main dwelling. There are tests like a 2/3 value test and a same building / in the grounds test.

My reading of the legislation is that in some of these annex type cases it is possible to claim multiple dwellings relief without triggering the 3% surcharge. It is complicated though.

chardri

Postby chardri » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi, I just wondered whether you have had any joy with this? I decided to use an accountancy firm in the end rather than risk it given that it is a complex area. Wasn't that expensive really and have now had the refund although I do wonder if I could have done it myself.

RobinJS

Postby RobinJS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi, I just wondered whether you have had any joy with this? I decided to use an accountancy firm in the end rather than risk it given that it is a complex area. Wasn't that expensive really and have now had the refund although I do wonder if I could have done it myself.
Hello Chardri, I am about to make a claim for multiple dwelling relief for my annexe and I would be grateful if you could give me any advice. Many thanks

David10

Postby David10 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Robin

Did you manage to do this claim yourself ?

Would appreciate any insight please

Many Thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”