This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

loan to offshore company and tax implications

cgp12
loan to offshore company and tax implications

Postby cgp12 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm looking at investing overseas (USA) and was considering setting up an offshore company for my investment in the US and use some of the returns which I would like to keep in the company to buy property abroad in the future. I want to do things properly when it comes down to Inland Revenue, but I want to minimise tax implications if possible as well as exposure to change in currencies which is why I want to set up offshore.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a personal loan to the offshore company (set up in st Vincent) that company invests in a company in the US, keep some of the returns in the company and pay interest on the loan to which I would pay tax in the UK?

I'm a UK resident and I have lived in the UK for 25 years, I was born and lived in Chile for 15 years prior. Thanks

AmanSood

Re: loan to offshore company and tax implications

Postby AmanSood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:52 am

There are going to be both US corporate tax and UK corporate/income tax implications. From a US perspective, operating a US company, you would have to declare any profits made on the investments/rental/gains on disposal etc and pay corporation tax in the US. Likewise from a UK perspective, as you will be UK resident (and presumably a director of the US company), there is a risk that the effective management of the US offshore company is in the UK and therefore the UK tax authorities would also look to tax the profits from your company. In addition, any dividend distributions etc from the US company will likely be taxable in the UK (as you have been in the UK for 25yrs and deemed domiciled in the UK). If you are going down this route to try and minimise your tax then it's unlikely to be effective and likely to result in more administration for you.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

maths

Re: loan to offshore company and tax implications

Postby maths » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Your domicile status is important.

However, you are already deemed UK domiciled for IHT purposes and effective 6 April 2017 will also be deemed UK domiciled for income tax and CGT purposes.

Anti-avoidance provisions will almost certainly apply to your proposals resulting in no UK tax saving.

Return to “International Tax”