This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Theresa May's tax policy is dividing society

etf
Theresa May's tax policy is dividing society

Postby etf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:34 am

Making tax digital-penalties for the self employed in year 1-NIL "just do the best you can".

NRCGT return penalty for expatriate employees in year 1-hit them with a £1,600 penalty straight away.

Sound fair and equitable Theresa? Did Donald suggest this approach?

section 44

Re: Theresa May's tax policy is dividing society

Postby section 44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:37 am

Sounds fair and equitable to me. We're all in this together and should all be paying our fair share of tax and all that.

etf

Postby etf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:08 pm

And I thought Donald only posted on twitter :D

Yes expats do sometimes get a bad press, but you'll find a lot of them working 12 hour days, in 100 degree heat, in countries which are inherently dangerous places to live and work.

I don't believe it is good tax policy to introduce one reporting regime and impose enormous penalties from day 1, whilst another regime (which has received a lot more publicity) will have a one year penalty amnesty.

If you really disagree with this, I guess we'll just have to agree to differ.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Etf

I know you seem little upset with the relatively new NRCGT Scheme (seeing your previous posts) :-)

It is very harsh but the tax regime has been extremely generous to Non Residents in the past

Tax laws should favour the indigenous population as they are the ones that contribute. In some countries, non residents pay higher tax rates.

I envisage there will be more restrictions on non residents including the loss of the personal allowances etc.

Expats do work hard but they are well rewarded and have means to avoid/evade tax in other countries too in some tax haven or possibly not declaring the income/gain.

Kind Regards

GTA

section 44

Postby section 44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm

the tax regime has been extremely generous to Non Residents in the past
...some might say the tax regime has been fair and equitable to non residents in the past

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”