This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allowable expense?

maths
Re: Allowable expense?

Postby maths » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:19 pm

I suggest Lambs' final paragraph sums up the position.

In short, is the SA home where you reside an office from which you conduct your property business? If so, travel to (and from) the UK may well be deductible as the travel expenses are incurred in the course of the business [assuming any related private aspect associated with the trip is de minimis}.

Where your only let property is the UK property and if, in particular, it is managed by a UK based estate agent I doubt very much HMRC would accept that the travel expenses were deductible as I suspect they would simply deny that your SA home constituted an office.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Maths manages to say in 2 sentences what I just about manage to say in several paragraphs.

But mine was more fun.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:40 pm

A lot more!

Much prefer to read your post!!

maths

Postby maths » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Only just realised this was originally an October 2016 posting!!

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

My fault: responding to some later posts and hadn't checked the provenance...

Best,

Lambs

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 pm

OP, you might want to consider whether some of your travel from wherever you stay whilst in the UK to the property might be allowable, as clearly you don't really travel solely to visit the property. So maybe a claim for a small train or tube journey might be allowable, but the flight from SA to look at one property? Not likely. Unless it takes you a week to inspect the entire property as it is a block of 250 flats!
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “General”