This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

2 Employments (NI contributions)

sfabs
2 Employments (NI contributions)

Postby sfabs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 am

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice

I understand that you can have 2 employments and receive pay up to the primary threshold at EACH employment without incurring National insurance. Is this still correct?

If I am self employed/partnership AND an employee of company (of which I am a director and share holder) does this count as 2 employments... for which I can earn a salary from each up to the primary threshold before incurring NI??

Thanks

SteLacca

Re: 2 Employments (NI contributions)

Postby SteLacca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

You can't receive a salary in respect of your self-employment - you are taxed on profits, regardless of your level of drawings.

Your basic understanding of Class 1 NI is, however, accurate, in that it is calculated per employment rather than on the total.

sfabs

Re: 2 Employments (NI contributions)

Postby sfabs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you for your reply.

That answers my question

thanks again

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”