This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is Domiciled status affected when you become British citizen

mickael28
Re: Is Domiciled status affected when you become British citizen

Postby mickael28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm

I know these kind of things have always a lot of exceptions and each person will be different depending on their specific circumstances.

I think I understood the generic view about the subject which will allow me to think about the best way to do things in my case.

These subjects can be so complex and with so much bureaucracy and possible points of views, that one can expand the subject from a lot of different angles, but the basics that "maths" explained made my understanding clearer.

Thank you guys!

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Tue May 09, 2017 11:17 am

Following points need to be considering in deciding domicile status:

 For how long Individual resident in the UK ( Resident in the UK for 17 out of 20 tax years, they will be treated as deemed domiciled in the UK for UK inheritance tax purposes only.)
 Immigration status of the Individual ( On right of work visa / ILR/ Citizenship )
 What information has been given while completed Naturalisation application ( Refer AN 1 form Page number 12 – 2.3 Please tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _02-17.pdf
 Origin at birth
( This is usually the country that your father considered to be his real or permanent home at the date of your birth. our domicile of origin will continue until you acquire a new domicile - therefore if you have a domicile of origin outside the UK, then this is likely to still apply unless you intend to remain in the UK permanently or indefinitely.)

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 am

Following points need to be considering in deciding domicile status and I personally believe that point 3 is most important point in order to find out your domicile status.

1. For how long Individual resident in the UK ( Resident in the UK for 17 out of 20 tax years, they will be treated as deemed domiciled in the UK for UK inheritance tax purposes only.).

2. Immigration status of the Individual ( On right of work visa / Indefinite Live to remain / Citizenship ).

3.What information has been given while completed Naturalisation application ( Refer AN 1 form Page number 12 – 2.3 Please tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _02-17.pdf

4. Origin at birth :

( This is usually the country that your father considered to be his real or permanent home at the date of your birth. our domicile of origin will continue until you acquire a new domicile - therefore if you have a domicile of origin outside the UK, then
this is likely to still apply unless you intend to remain in the UK permanently or indefinitely.)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Why are you answering a 5 year old question?

Return to “International Tax”