This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

2016/2017 year, P11D is amlost empty, confused

wildraid
2016/2017 year, P11D is amlost empty, confused

Postby wildraid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I moved to UK and started employment in 2016/2017 tax year.
On top of salary and bonus, I've received following "benefits":
  • Relocation expenses, ~6,000 tax free, ~5,000 taxed, processed via payroll;
  • Loan for first month of property rental, ~3,000, repaid within 1 month, processed via payroll;
  • Business trip expenses, processed via iDocs, does not appear in payroll and payslips;
  • Medical and dental insurance;

I've received P60 and P11D from my employer. And I am really confused about P11D being almost completely empty. There is only one section filled in this form related to medical insurance. No relocation, no loan, no "other expenses", nothing.

I've asked my employer and they say it's OK, and those expenses do not need to be reported. However, when I google the tax rules, I can clearly see the statement that it is necessary to declare everything in P11D, including "payrolled" benefits. I've also noticed that there was a change in 2016/2017 related to P11D, but I do not really understand it.

Is it possible for some expenses to be legally excluded from P11D?
If not, how can I ask my employer to make amendments?

HMRC asked me to submit Self Assessment for the first time, so I am bit worried about under-reporting something. But I do not expect any additional tax to be paid on those "benefits" in any case.

Thank you.

MichCat

Re: 2016/2017 year, P11D is amlost empty, confused

Postby MichCat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Your employer is correct. Payrolled benefits are non cash benefits that are 'notionally' put through the payroll to collect tax - you do not have any of these.

In previous years, unless a company had a dispensation, expenses incurred in your employment were noted on the P11D and then you claimed them on your tax return, resulting in no tax due. HMRC no longer require this - it was a whole load of hassle for all involved and they finally came to their senses.

So, relax, your P11D is fine.

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Wildraid, another point to note when you file your tax return is that you may be able to claim tax relief on any flights back home (if you are non-UK domiciled) during the tax year.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

wildraid

Postby wildraid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:25 am

MichCat, awesome!
Thank you so much! What a releif.

AmanSood, I am non-dom indeed and confirmed it with tax advisor.
I keep all receipts and boarding passes and I'll look into this relief.

Thanks, this is the best forum ever :D

jason13

Postby jason13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Wildraid, another point to note when you file your tax return is that you may be able to claim tax relief on any flights back home (if you are non-UK domiciled) during the tax year.
Do you have a reference for that?

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”