This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Credits Meeting

bigfatpig

Postby bigfatpig » Sat May 07, 2005 12:08 am

Hi,

Please could someone offer some advice.

My partner received earlier this week a letter from HM Revenue & Customs telling her that they were coming to visit in order to discuss her Tax Credits Claims.

Is this usual? What might trigger such an investigation? Should we be worried at all?

Her situation is that she did previously have a sizeable tax credits claim for around 5 years but, since moving in with me and having a baby last year, the claim is virtually zero. The meeting appears to be in regard to the claim for the year prior to us moving in together.

She can provide bank statements, credit card statements etc for her previous address, is this sufficient proof that we were not living together at the time?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

zzz

Postby zzz » Tue May 10, 2005 12:17 am

Hi i am not an advisor, but this happened to me a couple of years ago, what brought the visit about was the fact that my ex was still on the electoral role. All my paperwork proved that i was on my own and that was the end of the matter, please try not to worry, if everything is in order things should hopefully be fine.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”