This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Why so few questions in this section?

snettergal

Postby snettergal » Sun May 08, 2005 4:29 am

I notice how few questions there are in this section. Surely if investigations were so rife there would be more questions?

Reading between the lines on the I.R pages,they deliberately foster a degree of paranoia to further their cause. This seem to be bourne out by the need to insure " meticulous + clean nosed" clients against investigation.From a business point of view this is no doubt expedient.

However what is the actual risk?

Before the very useful advisers herein reply with various horror stories I would like them to add a little overall perspectitive.We could all be hit by lightning but you're more likely to get a shock off the toaster. Just want to objectively assess risk.
Thanks

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Sun May 08, 2005 8:23 am

Most of the investigations these days are targeted where they are likely to get better results. I would say investigations are fewer but more focused and productive. If you don't engage in dubious practices, you are not at much of a risk to be picked.

Ramnik

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Mon May 09, 2005 3:01 am

In the past two years I have dealt with more Inland Revenue enquiries than I have in the previous 10 years.

The enquiries are more focused on particular areas of the tax returns or maybe particular types of expenses included in the self-employment pages.

A lot of the enquiries are opened randomly so even very low-risk clients are being investigated.

If you are playing the numbers game then I would suggest around 2% of my clients are subject to some form of enquiry each year.

Dean Shepherd
dean@mmi-online.co.uk
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”