This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Repatriation upon death of an employee

JPB2017
Repatriation upon death of an employee

Postby JPB2017 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:06 pm

An employee of a group company sadly passed away overseas. I am currently clarifying if the employee was there on business or vacation. The company has met the cost of repatriating the employee body back to the UK so that the family didn't need to.

If on business trip I presume, perhaps wrongly, that the cost would be allowable business expense and no personal tax implications. I'm informed that the travel insurance did not cover this. With this not being covered by travel insurance my first thought was that it may have been an inadequate insurance policy for a personal holiday so here is my second part of the unusual query. If it was a holiday and repatriated and the company paid for it as a goodwill gesture are there tax implications on the deceased (or their estate), are there any provisions to mitigate. Obviously the company doesn't want the employee to be taxed for a benefit of meeting the costs if it was a personal trip and if no mitigation is this something a company could put on a PSA?

Thank you in advance

JB

AmanSood

Re: Repatriation upon death of an employee

Postby AmanSood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm

As the payment is clearly being made on the death of the employee, this benefit would not be taxable on the employee/estate and main provision which would mitigate the tax charge is at s406 ITEPA 2003.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”