This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gain arising while non-resident

Naz
Capital Gain arising while non-resident

Postby Naz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm

I have been non-resident for many years and in this period acquired couple of BTL properties. If these are sold after becoming tax resident, would the gain accrued during the period of non-residency be exempted from CGT (except since April 2015) or all the gain be taxed without regard to the period of non-residency?
Appreciate your response.

simpsonite

Re: Capital Gain arising while non-resident

Postby simpsonite » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:54 pm

All of the gain is taxable when you become UK resident for tax purposes.
So in the tax year that you return - ensure the properties are sold before you become UK resident.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

And if you haven't, familiarise yourself with the new(ish) non-resident capital gains requirements, in case you sell any of them whilst non-resident.

Naz

Postby Naz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you for the above responses. Could a tax vehicle such as a trust or limited company help in my situation to crystallize gain before my return?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”