This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on English tutorial Service

Tushar Shah
VAT on English tutorial Service

Postby Tushar Shah » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi,

I have the client who is teaching English subject in various government funded college. These colleges are running English courses and funded by the government. The client turnover above the £85,000, does he need to register for vat? and if yes what rate of the vat, he will charge to the colleges ( I believe English tutorial service is exempt from vat ).

spidersong

Re: VAT on English tutorial Service

Postby spidersong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:18 am

I'm afraid that's not enough information, the education exemptions are detailed and specific so you'd need to say:
What type of client: sole prop, partnership, ltd
How are they doing it: contract to supply staff to the college, or contract to supply education to the pupils, who's responsible for providing things if the client's sick etc.
If a Sole Prop/Partership are they doing it themselves or do they employ/subcontract others to help?
When you say Govt funded college, on what basis, direct grants under the skills or apprenticeship acts for these courses or funded as all schools and colleges are by DfE funds?
What subject: English as in Language and Literature, or EFL: English as a Foreign Language?

There are probably other questions to ask but those above should start you in the right direction.

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi ,

Please find the reply as below:

What type of client: sole prop, partnership, Ltd: Limited company

How are they doing it: contract to supply staff to the college, or contract to supply education to the pupils, who are responsible for providing things if the client's sick etc. :

He is sole director and shareholder and providing service himself directly to the colleges as he is not responsible to find the students and also if he will seek college will organize the other person or extend the classes until he will get recovered.

If a Sole Prop/Partnership are they doing it themselves or do they employ/subcontract others to help?
Limited company and working himself.

When you say Govt funded college, on what basis, direct grants under the skills or apprenticeship act for these courses or funded at all schools and colleges are by DfE funds?

Sorry it is private run college self funded

What subject: English as in Language and Literature, or EFL: English as a Foreign Language?

English as a Foreign Language.

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Is anyone can help me on this.

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 pm

TEFL is usually VAT exempt, but if you need more detailed advice, with a proper review of the arrangements, the Client will need to formally appoint an advisor.

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for reply How much charges for proper advise? and what information is required?

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Contact an advisor directly. You can DM me if you wish. or other advisors who support this site.

Tushar Shah

Postby Tushar Shah » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Can I get your contact detail?

les35

Postby les35 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

There is a 'Private Message' button on this page.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”