This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Dividends, move to Thailand

johnuk
UK Dividends, move to Thailand

Postby johnuk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 pm

My situation is fairly simple. I am domiciled and resident in the UK and a 100% owner of a UK limited company which conducts business in the UK. My only source of income is dividends from the company. I am considering becoming non-resident and retaining ownership of the business. My understanding is that being non resident, there would be no UK tax to pay on the dividends. I have considered re-locating to Thailand. My research tells me that no income tax would be payable there on the dividends providing the income is not brought into the country in the year in which it is earned.

So I have 3 questions
1. Is it feasible that I could avoid tax completely ?
2. Is there anyway the double tax treaty could ensure tax has to be paid in one of the countries ?
3. Should I take steps such as appointing other directors to avoid the suggestion I am controlling the co from Thailand ?
4. Is there anything else obvious that I need to consider ?

maths

Re: UK Dividends, move to Thailand

Postby maths » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:54 pm

So I have 3 questions
1. Is it feasible that I could avoid tax completely ?
2. Is there anyway the double tax treaty could ensure tax has to be paid in one of the countries ?
3. Should I take steps such as appointing other directors to avoid the suggestion I am controlling the co from Thailand ?
4. Is there anything else obvious that I need to consider ?
You mean 4 !

1. Yes.
2. DTA allocates taxing rights and rates applicable. Re UK tax DTA irrelevant here. Only tax in Thailand subject to their law.
3. Probably better for company to remain UK resident; hence have no non-UK resident directors.
4. Who knows.

johnuk

Postby johnuk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I read somewhere that Thailand has no Controlled Foreign Company rules. Does that mean it might be possible for me to remain as a director without any risk ?

kidcosmique

Postby kidcosmique » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi there, I'm in a similar situation What did you decide on?

Return to “International Tax”