This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

hmrc

Kazza75
hmrc

Postby Kazza75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi All just looking for a bit of info, if possible?
Me and my husband are both self employed plasterers. Now my husband has had a tax investigation going on now for last 2 years 14/15 tax year. ( they are clutching at every straw possible) on his last letter from them of questions the woman who is dealing with the investigation as slipped in to the notes. that she would like to look closely, as to whether my self assessment the year after 15/16 return is indeed my income and not my husbands! Now the money from the jobs is in my bank and the corresponding payments are registered for tax. What i would like to know is, is there anything i can do ie complain to somewhere, as i fell they are trying to say just because i am a woman i am not capable of being a plasterer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SteLacca

Re: hmrc

Postby SteLacca » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:23 pm

If you believe that HMRC are stretching the enquiry out unnecessarily and that all information has been provided to enable it to be brought to a close you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal to direct HMRC to close the enquiry.

Of course, it's not without risk, and you may lose.

Kazza75

Re: hmrc

Postby Kazza75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks SteLacca for you reply. stretching it out they are that! first my husband started out with an officer who probably replied to us every 3 months, she wanted a meeting back in september than rang day before to cancel and re arrange, on doing this that officer didn't turn up to the rearranged meeting in november she was on the sick, so sent another officer in her place with a whole new set of questions as she has now taken over. So to me its just dragging on. 2 years for an investigation is beyond a joke and causes unnecessary stress. Anyhow thanks for your reply much appreciated.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”