This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Private miles and the HMRC

JackPez
Private miles and the HMRC

Postby JackPez » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 am

Hi, i would be very grateful if someone could offer me some advice.

I currently work for a company who provide a company car and fuel card. The amount of tax we pay for the fuel card is huge compared to the amount of private miles the guys are doing. I approached the company to see if we could keep the fuel cards but repay the company for our private mileage, so we are no longer liable for the tax on the fuel bik (plus i believe they will benefit as they will save on the National insurance contribution on the fuel)

I was told by the company its not as simple as us just informing them, for example I've done 500 private miles this month, however speaking with other people that is what they do.

So my question is, how interested are the HMRC regarding this issue. If we got audited, is a record of what we told the company plus proof of payment sufficient, or would they require more information.

thankyou

greybags1

Re: Private miles and the HMRC

Postby greybags1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 pm

To avoid the fuel benefit you need to reimburse the employer the whole of the expense incurred in providing private fuel. So unless every single mile is tracked trying to prove to HMRC you have reimbursed the whole cost is near impossible. Personally I think it would be best to get rid of the fuel cards and for employees with company cars to be reimbursed for fuel on business miles only.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi

Yes you can pay the private element based on advisory fuel rates . My clients use a very good app to keep tabs of business and personal mileage.

Kind Regards

GTA

JackPez

Postby JackPez » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks both, I appreciate your replies.
I've found a company called mileage count, you plug a USB device into the car and it records journeys, you then separate business and private.

Do you happen to know what app they use ?

Return to “Income Tax”