This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working and living outside UK but on UK Payroll

Coltan
Working and living outside UK but on UK Payroll

Postby Coltan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:58 am

Hello, I'm hoping you can help. I have lived and worked outside the UK since the beginning of 2001. I have been offered a job by an American multinational in Saudi but they require that, as a UK passport holder, I have to go on their UK payroll. When I left the UK, I never obtained a NT tax status as I had no intention of returning, still don't. I have no property in the UK or other investments, I don't have a bank account there but, I need to know what could happen if I accept this offer and go on UK payroll.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Working and living outside UK but on UK Payroll

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:10 pm

I imagine they are not using the UK to process your payroll since there are tax to pay in Saudi and probably easier to run the Payroll in UK than Saudi

Will you get paid in GBP ?

Coltan

Postby Coltan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:20 am

They are planning on paying me in GBP. Saudi income tax will probably be handled in their Saudi office as it is, as yet, nominal. I am more concerned with my own situation returning to a UK payroll after so many years outside the UK tax system. As I've said, I am not resident in the UK and I need have some idea of how HMRC will handle my absence before giving me a on-res tax code.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 am

As non-UK resident and performing no duties of employment in the UK there should be no UK tax or NI to pay.

Return to “Income Tax”