This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Please advise if should I pay tax in UK?

Praveen
Please advise if should I pay tax in UK?

Postby Praveen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello,

I was born in India but settled in UK and became UK resident now.
I do NOT have any income in UK for the FY 2017-18. However I sold a property in India for INR 3,00,000/- and received INR 20,000/- as a rental income on other property for the FY 2017-18. My tax advisor in India prepared tax returns and I paid a total tax of 45,131/- also submitted my returns there in India. I am NOT going to transfer that money to UK.

1GBP = 89 INR

1) do I need to pay tax here in UK as well?
2) do I need to declare that income here?

Please advise, many thanks!
Praveen

bd6759

Re: Please advise if should I pay tax in UK?

Postby bd6759 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes

As a UK resident you are liable to UK tax on your worldwide income.

Praveen

Postby Praveen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks bd6759

I have registered for SA thru gateway, so would I be able to calculate/submit returns myself (as the requirement is straight away) or is it better to contact tax adviser? if latter, could you please recommend any tax adviser with a reasonable fee?

thanks again,

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks bd6759

I have registered for SA thru gateway, so would I be able to calculate/submit returns myself (as the requirement is straight away) or is it better to contact tax adviser? if latter, could you please recommend any tax adviser with a reasonable fee?

thanks again,
Hi Praveen

Given you have overseas income which would potentially need to be declared in the UK, this would complicate your 2017/18 tax filing and I would therefore recommend getting a tax advisor to assist with reviewing your income and preparing your tax return. Feel free to get in touch and we would be happy to discuss your requirements in further detail.

Kind regards

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”