This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Relief for Hospitality

Mikethebook
Tax Relief for Hospitality

Postby Mikethebook » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 pm

As part of her self-employment, my wife has people to stay in our home in the country for a day or two at a time either "on retreat" or to receive counselling. No charge is made for their stay. Can we legitimately deduct the cost of food for her clients as a business expense, please? Or does it come under the heading of "entertainment?"

pawncob

Re: Tax Relief for Hospitality

Postby pawncob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm

That would depend on the self employment. Is she a counsellor? Why is it related to her S/E?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mikethebook

Postby Mikethebook » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53 pm

She is a missionary, which often involves counselling and leading individual retreats.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:29 pm

I'd claim it in full.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mikethebook

Postby Mikethebook » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks very much!

Return to “Business Tax”