This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK tax on NRE Accounts in India

pramod
UK tax on NRE Accounts in India

Postby pramod » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 am

I am a UK citizen now and have A few NRE accounts & Fixed deposits in India which are earning interest yearly. This Accounts were opened in India before I came to the UK or became a Citizen of UK. No money from the UK is being transferred to India. The Money was deposited years ago when I was a NRI and a Indian citizen/passport. That money has been left unused in the accounts and just earning interest. No Tax is payable in India as it is a NRE account.
Now do I need to declare this the UK gov and pay tax on the interest earned in India? I have not put any money into the account from the UK or withdrawn from it into the UK. I just use it as spending money when I in India for daily expenses.

Please do advise.

Thanks, Pramod

AGoodman

Re: UK tax on NRE Accounts in India

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:36 pm

The location of the account and source of funds is irrelevant unless you are being taxed on the remittance basis (you usually have to make an election).

Your actual position all depends on the amounts of interest. There are tax free thresholds of £1,000 for basic rate taxpayers and £500 for higher rate taxpayers. I don't believe there is any need to report unless you have an actual liability.

pramod

Postby pramod » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you for your reply

DtheRed

Postby DtheRed » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 am

If you are a UK taxpayer (and don't avail of the domicile arrangements), then you pay tax on it. The money is freely remittable so there is no reason not to pay. Just add it to the foreign section of your SA (after HMRC published exchange rate conversion). Tax rate will be as per UK income tax bands.

Return to “International Tax”